Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: If I Die Young

Title: If I Die Young

Author: Talia Jager

Format: Ebook

Source: Author

Rating: 4/5

(Amazon) Summary:

When Caelyn Noel was diagnosed with asthma five years ago, it put a damper on things. Now, she’s sixteen and things are finally going her way. She has loving parents, the best friend ever, and the boy she has had a crush on since elementary school has finally noticed her. Then, she collapses in school one day. To her horror, she finds out her heart is failing and she must have a heart transplant to live. Caelyn struggles with her fear of dying and worries of having someone else’s heart.

My Thoughts:

This book happily satisfied my craving for a teenage drama/romance! Its been a long while since I have read a book of this genre and it was a nice refresher. Most teenage dramas are sad and may bring tears to the reader's eyes, but I'm one of those odd people who likes sad books, songs, and movies. I've forgotten how much I love this genre and will have to start reading a little more of it!

Lets start with the plot. Caelyn thinks she is an every day teenager with an allergy problem until she finds out the hard way that she truthfully has heart failure. After staying in the hospital for what seems like an eternity, Caelyn discovers that she needs a heart transplant in order to survive the condition trying to claim her life. And of course, along the way she finds a handsome lover who has a few problems of his own. It is a very original and suspenseful plot that I thoroughly enjoyed!

Onto the characters. I liked all the characters but I couldn't connect to any of them. I have almost nothing in common with Caelyn and have never experienced anything she was going through. Lindsay, the best friend, is my favorite character because she is very loyal, smart, and probably the best friend a girl could ever ask for. She almost seemed a little too perfect at times...

As for the love connection between Austin and Caelyn, I found it to be a little rushed especially towards the very end of the book but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  It was heart warming and inspiring reading about a girl near the edge of death falling in love and being happy once again.

I absolutely loved following Caelyn's horrific journey. It was an eye opener to read how a strong girl can be so close to dying and then recover to live a happy life. I can't even imagine taking all the tests Caelyn did or thinking about leaving my family and friends behind for good.

 I look forward to reading more of this genre and maybe even some of Talia's other novels! I recommend If I Die Young to every single person out there. It is a fun, short read that can teach everyone life long lessons. Because while this book was fiction, it is crazy to know that there are people who are going through the exact same thing as Caelyn Noel.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,
    Just hopping through from comment exchange. This seems like a very thought provoking book. I'm glad that Caelyn has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one. I like books that make me cry too. Not all the time, but they are great for a big change of pace. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm also hopping through the comment exchange :) After so many paranormal and dystopian type books in the YA market, I'm excited to read about something that's more "real" :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment because I love them! Come on you know you want to ;)